Headache in afternoon, tearing eye, recedes when sleeping

Yes I seem to get headaches in the early afternoon that progress, make my right eye tear and then go away when I go to sleep. The headache is on my right side and seems to come from behind my right eye.
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The description of your symptom fits into much similar conditions.

One would be Opthalmoplegic migraine, other being Tolosa hunt syndrome and other would be asthenopia .

I would like to know some more details on your condition to be sure of the cause.

Since when did get the headaches ?
How long does an episode last ?
Have you been on any medication for long ?
Have you taken any medications for the present problem ?
Do you have any problem in the vision ?
Do you notice drooping of the involved side eye lid ?

Waiting for your reply.

Follow-up: Headache in afternoon, tearing eye, recedes when sleeping 13 hours later
They seem to come and go. The first episode was this past Winter then again in the Spring. I had another in early August and a less severe one a day ago.The episode seems to start in the early afternoon and gets worse as the afternoon progresses and into the evening. They are always gone by the time I get up in the morning. I'm on Simvastatin....20 mG and a baby aspirin. The only medications I've taken for the present problem is ibuprofin or extra strength Excedrin. I have no vision problems or any drooping of the involved side eye lid. I work out every day, six days a week, for about two hours.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 31 hours later

I apologize for the delay.

Based on the above information I can totally rule out serious condition like Tolosa hunt syndrome.

But Opthalmoplegic migraine can still be considered as a differential diagnosis and need a hand on examination to rule it out.

I suggest you to take Tab Naproxen 250 mg after food instead of Ibuprofen, if there is any relief then do continue the same for a week and take it whenever there is severe pain.Do not take more than two tablets a day.

If there is no relief with Naproxen then you may have to consult a ENT (Ear nose and throat) specialist who after examining you ,can confirm the diagnosis of Migraine and place you on suitable medication.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you speedy recovery.