Headache, funny feeling in chest like flutter, dizzy, tired. What might this have been?

My blood pressure last night was 152 over 97, I had a headache, and it started with a funny feeling in my chest. The feeling wasn't painful, more like a flutter. My pulse was never over 80. Today my blood pressure has been as low as 109 over 68 to 130 over 85. I still feel a little dizzy and tired. What might this have been?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
Sudden intermittent rise of blood pressure with headache might suggestive of labile hypertension. Feeling of dizziness is something which is making me feel concerned.
You need to get a few investigations by your doctor like an Electrocardiogram (ECG), Kidney function tests, an Eye examination, etc. 24 hour continuous B.P. monitoring with a portable monitor is usually recommended. Other investigations which may be ordered depend on the positive findings found on clinical examination at the discretion of your physician.
Try to avoid staying up nights, use good lighting at work, try to reduce stress by taking frequent breaks at work, get 6-8 hours of sleep daily, do Yoga, Pranayam for stress relief as well. Kindly refrain from smoking, using tobacco of any kind, avoid high calorie meals, avoid junk food, stick to a low salt diet, eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Exercise daily by brisk walking daily for 40 minutes.

If the blood pressure is usually not controlled by the diet and exercise modification for a few weeks, you may need anti-hypertensive drugs, if not recommended by your Doctor immediately. Half the battle involves diet and exercise modification which will be of great benefit in your case.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Follow-up: Headache, funny feeling in chest like flutter, dizzy, tired. What might this have been? 1 hour later
I had an EKG about a month ago during some head pressure. It was normal. I had an eye examination with a neck and head MRI and CT scan. I do have some slight pain ever so often where my kidneys are, but no unusual urine. What is the kidney function test you speak of?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Renal (kidney) function tests is a blood test which include serum urea, creatinine, urine protein, etc. These do help to rule out the presence of a renal disease as a cause of hypertension.

You need to consult your physician for 24 hour BP monitoring and other related tests.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.