Headache, fever, stomach upset, runny nose, sneezing, body ache, had hay fever. Medication?

ENT Specialist
Terrible headache, body aches, fever, upset stomach, sneezing, runny nose and dry nose. I have to fly to NYC on Thursday. Can you help me feel better or do I need to see a Dr.?
(This just started yesterday.)
I'm a female, 40 something, usually healthy, some hay fever, overweight.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Fever, body aches, sneezing and running nose are the features of Hay fever has got worsened due to the URTI.

Viral infection is usually self-limiting and lasts for 3-5days, mean while you need to take symptomatic medicines. As you are planning to travel by flight, you should be symptomatically better or else you will land up with barotrauma.

It would be better if you could consult a doctor (preferably an ENT specialist), as he can prescribe the appropriate medicines for you. You will require nasal decongestants, steroid nasal spray (to reduce the symptoms of hay fever and URTI) and paracetamol to control the fever. Also, drink plenty of warm water to keep yourself hydrated and do steam inhalation to relieve the nasal congestion.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon