Headache, fever, nausea, abdominal pain and dizziness. Took colofac. What am I suffering from?

dear doctor my name is XXXXXXX i am 60 years old ii have had bad headaches fever nausea bac cramps in stomach and colon which has spread all around my upper stomach and all my tummy and bowels hurt i have cold sweats feel full dizzy light sore throat,but the cramps are unbeareable i was thinking it was a 48 gastric flu but i have since 2weeks, my doctor last week only gave spasmonal,but i had buscopan plus and colofac the symptoms today were worse i could hardly walk to my doctor cause i nearly fainted, i told her how long i have been like this she does not want to give me any antibioticts,she gave solpadine soluble,spasmonal and esomeprazole XXXXXXX which says its for acid,but i read about helicobacter pylori,and i am worried cause right now my cramps and pain has increased thanks
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later

Abdominal cramps actually are a separate symptom from gastric ulcers. 95% of gastric ulcers are actually caused by Helicobacter pylori. To diagnose ulcers, an endoscopy or fibroscopy is done to visualize the ulcers and appreciate the stage, and a test for helicobacter pylori can be done during this process. If Helicobacter is confirmed, treatment is done with an association of three antibiotics usually taken for 7 days. Maybe if your doctor did not prescribe this triple antibiotherapy, he feels you do not have gastric ulcers. To confirm the diagnosis, this endoscopic exam in association to the clinical examination of your doctor might be needed.

Headaches, fevers and nausea might necessitate an exclusion of an infection. Blood tests need to be done to exclude infections and examination of your throat.

I would actually suggest you XXXXXXX a gastroenterologist. Abdominal discomfort after the age of 50 requires doing occult blood tests and a colonoscopy. A normal exam of the colon (colonoscopy) needs to be systematically done after every two years. A tumor of the colon must be included with the symptoms you describe.

Meeting a gastroenterologist with the symptoms you present is the ideal option. A keen physical examination with a good throat exam, endoscopy, blood tests, occult blood and a colonoscopy shall be key elements in making an appropriate diagnosis and management plan.

Hope this helps. I shall be honored if need be to answer your queries.
Nice day and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.