Headache, fever, hip and waist rash, not itchy, red, nausea, back pain, neck pain. What is it?

my brother has no insurance and presented to the ER with 3 wk headache, and fever....rash around hip and waist , not itchy, red and in a line. it is spreading. he also has nausea, back and neck pain. ??? they dont know what it is. I'm an RN also and am not sure. they sent him home with zofran, percocet and 2 antibiotics. cbc, bmp, and lyme titer were drawn.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Headache, fever and a spreading red rash with bodyache most likely indicates a viral illness. A thorough examination and blood investigations are needed to help in making a diagnosis.
Apart from the medicines he is taking he can take the pain medications- percocet with a strong cup of coffee for better relief.
Have adequate bed rest, keep yourself well hydrated, take oil free non spicy easy to digest boiled food. Adding high doses of Vitamin C will help to fight such infections better.
You can also apply 1% hydrocortisone gel on the rashes for relief.
Do not rub or scratch the rashes. Maintain adequate hygiene.
It is best to follow the treatment regularly and wait for the blood investigation results.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.