Headache, ear pain, have cavity in tooth but no tooth pain. Cause?

Nephrologist
Question
I have a headache for around 5-6 days on the top of my head, for a few days my left ear was also hurting and now my left cheek bone is also hurting. I think I have a small cavity in a tooth on the left of my mouth on the top, but no tooth pain, could this be the problem to all my recent pain? What can be the cause to my headache?
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I need to know a little more in order to help you better

1. Do you have ringing of the ear and feeling of imbalance?
2. Is there any discharge from the ear? Have you noticed reduced hearing recently?
3. IS your cheek bone feeling numb?
4. Have you taken any painkillers? Has it helped?
5. Any history of fever?
6. Which teeth on the left is affected? Upper or lower? Back ones or the front ones?
7. Are you on any medications regularly? Please list them out

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Headache, ear pain, have cavity in tooth but no tooth pain. Cause? 4 hours later
Hi, Thanks for your questions here are the answers

Just feeling imbalance like dizzy but no ringing

No discharge and reduced hearing

3. IS your cheek bone feeling numb?
No it's more of pain when touch it, it's on the left as soon as the nose finishes right in the middle

I have taken pain killers, pain still remains when i touch

5. Any history of fever?
No Fever

Upper tooth, back one.

No Medication

Also I have noticed that I had problems to sleep in the last days, which never happened before.

Waiting for your answer. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 19 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the detailed reply

There are two possibilities in your case. There could be an ear involvement or teeth as both of them give a similar picture and are very hard to differentiate without examination. However the description given by you goes more in favor of an ear lesion than teeth because a teeth involvement would have caused painful chewing as your first symptom and would have not caused the slight dizziness.

It looks like you have acquired an infection of the middle ear, most likely to be otitis media. It has to be treated with a short course of antibiotics pain killers and drugs to help you with the dizziness. Most commonly used anti biotic is amox and burfen is the ideal pain killer in this setting or even naproxen. Beta histadine will help you with the dizziness
I suggest you see an ENT specialist as soon as possible for an examination and treatment

I am sorry for the delay in reply, I was stuck at the hospital with a case

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery