Headache during and after urination. What could that be?

Nov 2013

in the last 2 days i have gotten headaches while and after urinating.

Why would that be?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure that your current symptoms do not suggest any serious problem with the brain.

After urinating, the fluid and blood volume, and hence cardiac output drops for a short while, resulting into transient drop in blood pressure. This could result in symptoms such as headache, lightheadedness and occasionally loss of consciousness for a short duration. There is no treatment necessary, as the adaptive mechanisms in the body make these parameters normal within a minute or two.

I hope it clarifies.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad