Headache, dry mouth, stuffy nose and noticed blood in mucus. Cause of concern?

ENT Specialist
Question
For the past few weeks I wake up in the morning my nose are feel little stuffed. And my mouth is very dry when I clear my throat and my nose there is blood in it. I have no pains just a little head ache I don't have a cough no chest pain and I breading. The spit/mucus that comes out of my chest is very clear.
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 50 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. If there is only blood tinged sputum in the morning then there is no cause for worry. Dryness of the throat may be due to nasal obstruction (mouth breathing), sleep disturbance (snoring), sinusitis (Post Nasal Drip or PND) or acid reflux.

2. This is also commonly seen with allergy and colds. Headache is usually a sign of sinusitis. Do you have sneezing, nasal discharge or eye symptoms? Alcohol dries the throat. Do you have any exposure to tobacco smoke?

3. Get your nose and throat examined by an ENT Specialist to rule out any cause such as a sinusitis or granular pharyngitis.

4. If the bleeding is a lot, or does not decrease and stop, get your Routine Blood Tests, a Coagulogram, Thyroid & Liver Function Tests, Sinus X-rays or a Plain CT and a Nasal endoscopy done and share the reports here for further advice.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Headache, dry mouth, stuffy nose and noticed blood in mucus. Cause of concern? 6 minutes later
I use to be a smoker but I stopped 2 years ago but my nose is broken when I was a kid so every thing comes out the back
This is happening all day off and on I clear my troat but again no cough and I can not clear my nose from the front becus it's broken. What can I take ?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If there is a history of a broken nose and if you have nasal obstruction in the front of the nose, get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) and upload the images for an accurate assessment.

2. Saline nasal drops or sprays may be used. Anti-allergic medication will dry your nose further and may worsen the symptoms. If you CT Scan is normal, regular steam inhalation may help.

3. Physical defects [such as DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum) or spurs], obstruction (nasal turbinate hypertrophy) or sinusitis may require surgical intervention.

Regards.