Headache, double vision. Had pituitary tumor removed. Any suggestion?

hi my daughter had a pituatary tumor removed 2 weeks ago. Her only sympton was sevrer headache and double vision. She saw an eye doctor today and he said the double vision could last 6-8 mo and if not better eye surgery, which may not help. What facility do you rec. for second opinion . Which eye should she patch. The bad one Any other suggestions

Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 30 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Your ophthalmologist is right in saying that the double vision may last for months.
Recovery depends on the extent of tumour pressing on the visual pathway in the brain and residual damage.
Many patients recover variably after tumour removal.
Some may have residual problem of double vision.

Patching any eye will help prevent double vision, as input from one eye is shut off and the brain sees only one image. Patching a worse seeing eye will allow better visualization with the better eye.

In severe cases, corrective surgery may be offered.
Results vary from case to case as extent of damage is variable.

If at all you want a second opinion, ask the neuro surgeon about his opinion on the possibility of return of single vision depending on the extent of tumour compression and damage.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this query.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!