Headache, dizziness, sneezing, drainage. Taken antibiotic. Have hole in eardrum tubes

ENT Specialist
I have a hole in eardrum from tubes, on has heal the other hasn't since May 2012, I had daily headache and dizziness for 3 to 4 months then had tubes in and didn't help, they were remove. Had alot of drainage and sneezing with frontal headache so thought it was Sinus infection they gave me 875mg antobilic it torn up my stomach only took for 3 to 4 days, then it fix my headache and dizzness, now had to fix stomach with align probotic, not after 3 to 4 weeks the headache and dizzness is back with sneezing and some drainage. Guess didn't take antobilic long enought.?????? I have PVC sometime maybe becuase of GERD or Hital Hernia so don't do caffein or Decogna.
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

After going through the history I do feel the root cause of all your problems is sinusitis.

Any anatomical block in the nose or nasal allergy causes nasal congestion, because of which there will be blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions in the sinus and increased viscosity. Stagnation of the secretions gives rise to headache and nasal infection. Congestion of the nose will also cause blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) leading to ear discomfort, reduced hearing and discharge from the ear.

Nasal block can cause dizziness as it reduces the oxygen supply to brain. Secondly, dizziness could be due to middle ear infections because of entry of toxins present in the ear discharge into the inner ear.

Nasal endoscopy is one of the investigating aids for sinusitis and CT scan of the paranasal sinuses gives an accurate picture of the sinuses and also helps in confirming the diagnosis.

My suggestions to you are:
1. To use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, this helps in reducing the nasal congestion and clearing of the mucus.
2. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
3. Avoid coffee and chilled beverages.
4. A course of good antibiotic (such as cefuroxime), a mucolytic (bromhexine or ambroxol) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus and a steroid nasal spray for control of allergy.
5. Please to consult your ENT specialist for a thorough evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon