Headache, dizziness and racing heart after going out in sun. CT scan, ecg normal. What's wrong?

Head & heartI had braids from 1995-2011(Dec), 2012 was my first summer in awhile with a clean cut head. Day in & day out the sun would beam on my head. In July 2012, for a few days straight a sharp pain in my forehead would happen around 3pm for about 10 seconds. Then one day in July towards the end I was having severe headaches and rotating pain all around my head. I've gotten CT scans, EEG test, and 1 MRI to the head done no issues. This headache is still here 2/2013. It rotates around my head and when hits certain pojnt in my head it feels like I can't breathe, my heart start racing, off balance, and dizziness. I have to wear a hat all day even going to bed to not feel the pain as much. If I remove the hat, it feels like a XXXXXXX dumbell weight is in the middle of my head. Twitches all around my head, needle pin poaking feeling, it feels something is moving around in my brain at times but no tumor was detected. The pain/feeling goes to neck at times, eyes, forehead, face. The feeling is mainly in the middle of my head. Excedrin extra strength & migraine or any other headache pills don't work. My Neurologist, doctors at Hospitals (3 I've been to), my ears, nose, and throat Doctor can't figure out the issue. I don't know what to do....or what is going on...( YYYY@YYYY )
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Since CT and MRI are normal, possibility of migraine seems more likely. Migraine headaches are know to be chronic and may not respond well to OTC analgesics. Medications to treat migraine headaches are either abortive or prophylactics.

During the onset of a headache, some people respond to inhalation of 100% oxygen. Alternative first-line treatment is subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan.

Lidocaine and other topical anesthetics sprayed into the nasal cavity may relieve or stop the pain, normally in a few minutes, but long term use is not suggested due to the side effects and possible damage to the nasal cavities.

Ergot compounds like cafergot have also been effectively used.

Other abortive remedies that work for some include ice, hot showers, cool or lukewarmwater sprayed on the face around the sinus, temple, and ear areas, breathing cold air, application of analgesic balm beneath the nostrils, caffeine, and drinking large amounts of water in the early stages of an attack. Vigorous exercise has been shown in some cases to be very effective in relieving and aborting an acute attack by increasing the levels of oxygen within the body.

Avoid triggers like deprivation of sleep, smoking , alcohol ,bright light , inhalation of strong chemicals etc.

Prophylactic treatment include calcium channel blocker (verapamil),Steroids(prednisolone) ,magnesium sulfate.

Normally with some trial and error both doctor and patient reach most effective treatment in a particular case .

I think you need to reconsider possibility of migraine or tension headache with other treatment options.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Headache, dizziness and racing heart after going out in sun. CT scan, ecg normal. What's wrong? 13 hours later
Ok cool, the best over-the-counter medicine to take for severe daily migraines is? & prescribed Doctor's medicine?, What other medical tests could I get done to analyze the brain/head better? The wierd part is wearing a hat all day to ease the migraine, why is that?
Thanks for writing again.
The best over the counter agent available is acetaminophen. The prescribed drugs for migraine include ergot alkaloids, calcium channel blockers, etc.
Migraine is a diagnosis of exclusion. An EEG might help you further.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Headache, dizziness and racing heart after going out in sun. CT scan, ecg normal. What's wrong? 11 hours later
Ok cool, why wearing a hat ease the pain/feeling but I when take it off my head gets tight & heavy?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
It can be due to the exposure to light that is considerably lessened on wearing a hat. An exposure to strong light can aggravate a migraine headache.