Headache, depression, normal EKG report. Reason?

I had a ekg done on my head,the doctor said it was to measure my brain waves.It came up normal,but I am still having bad headaches.I also suffer with depression.Why did it come up normal......
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

A normal EEG means that the electrical activity of your brain between nerve cells is normal. It depicts the status of signal transmission in your brain.

EEG is used to help diagnose seizures and their type. It is also used to evaluate abnormal changes in body chemistry that affect the brain, brain diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, confusion, head injuries, infections, tumors, etc. EEG is also used to evaluate problems with sleep ( sleep disorders), investigate periods of unconsciousness and to monitor the brain during brain surgery.
EEG is done to find out if there is any such organic cause behind the headache. If present, it needs to be treated separately.

Headache may be caused by all the above reasons; but more commonly the cause of headache is anxiety, depression, tension, etc which cannot be evaluated on an EEG.
You might be a migraine or a tension headache for which you can get medications prescribed from a neurophysician.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.