Headache, cough, sore limbs, prickly skin. Worried about infection in womb after miscarrying

ENT Specialist
Hi I have been feeling out of sorts for 3 days with a pounding headache, cough, sore limbs and skin feels prickly to touch. I have been drinking plenty of fluids and taking 8/500 dissolving cocodomal however this is not touching my headache which is excruciating when I cough.
Yesterday my temperature was 38.8 today 37.9. I am hot & cold and have no energy.
I am worried I have an infection in my womb after miscarrying earlier this year which resulted in my getting taking into hospital with a womb infection. I am feeling weepy and generally unwell. I am usually in good health and full of energy
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

You seem to be suffering from acute sinusitis.

Sinusitis is a condition wherein there is inflammation of the sinuses followed by infection. Following inflammation there is swelling of the nasal mucosa due to which there is blockage of the sinus opening leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions. Accumulated nasal secretions get infected causing headache, fever, cough, nasal stuffiness, body pain etc.

You need to consult your doctor at the earliest and get an X-ray of the nose and the paranasal sinuses to confirm sinusitis.

Till then you can try the following medications (presuming you are not pregnant):
1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, which helps in relieving the nasal congestion, clearing of the mucus and reducing the headache.
3. Avoid coffee/chilled/hot beverages/alcohol/smoking if any.
4. Try taking mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus and easy clearance from the sinuses.
5. An anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for headache and body pain.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon