Headache, breathing difficulty, losing hearing, enlarged lymph node, tonsil discomfort. Negative for strep. Treatment?

ENT Specialist
Question
Over the past few months I have noticed a few problems start to arise between my ear, nose, and throat. The first thing I noticed was I felt like I had a headache over my left temple, and then it seemed like it moved around, but not to the other side. I noticed that I was unable to breathe out of my left nostril, and that it seemed like my hearing in my left ear was starting to go. At the same time I noticed that I had an enlarged lymph node at the rear of my jaw where my neck meets my head. In this area I am having severe pain. Almost like my tonsil is tearing every time I yawn. As time has progressed I have felt like my left side of my jaw needs to be poped as well.

These symptoms are all happening at the same time, and at times the pain has me almost in tears. I have been to the emergency room 4 times in the span of 2 months and they keep saying different things of what they "think" it may be. When I take the medications they perscribe nothing changes and nothing seems to help. I have had a ct scan and an x-ray, which have shown nothing. Strep test came back negative, and the doctor still said I had strep and gave me medications for it (which did not help.) I feel like I have to constantly "pop" my neck and upper back now.

I do not know what to do or who to see. I am just trying to get a sense of what may be wrong. As of today I finally got the left side of my jaw to pop, but it was from me talking and not trying to pop it. It almost sounded like something tore when it poped and not it hurts very bad! I know all of these symptoms are related in some way since they are all centered in the same area, but they keep gettng worse and no one is willing to hear my side of what is wrong. Everyone just want to try something else even after I told them the same treatment is not working.
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Hi

Thanks for the posting your query with a detailed description, which has made my work easy.

You are suffering from a condition called Eustachian tube dysfunction. The prime cause of all your problems is smoking cigarettes. Smoking will cause inflammation of the nose and the paranasal sinuses as well as the mucosa of the throat. The inflammation in the nose will cause nasal block due to which there will be negative pressure created behind the nose, leading to headache and facial pain.

Secondly, when there is inflammation in the nasal cavity, it spreads to the opening of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) at the nasal end, leading to blockage of the tube and pressure sensation in the ear. The amount of pressure and the blockage can be confirmed with an Impedance audiometry. The popping up of the ear following swallowing, drinking yawning and talking are all related to opening and closing of this Eustachian tube.

My suggestion to you is to reduce the smoking gradually and later on quit smoking. This will reduce most of your problems immediately. Also, use saline nasal spray to keep the nasal mucosa moist, followed by steam inhalation and drink plenty of warm water to reduce the congestion around the nose and the throat.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Headache, breathing difficulty, losing hearing, enlarged lymph node, tonsil discomfort. Negative for strep. Treatment? 14 minutes later
Would doing this help to reduce the swelling in my lymph gland in my neck and stop the pain I have around the lymph/tonsil whenever I yawn or blow my nose?

Hi

Thanks for writing back

I can tell you with confidence, once you stop smoking most of your symptoms will reduce. But the lymph node in the jugulodigastric region may or may not recede back. Also, please do follow my other instructions.

I wish you good health and good luck.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon