Headache between left temple and left ear with a twitch in lower lip. Medical advice?

In the summer of 2011, I experienced a headache on the left side, approximately between my left temple and left ear. Around the same time, I experienced a twitch in my lower left lip, within the mouth. It went on for approx. 1-2 months, then disappeared for 2-3 months.
The headache has returned as of this week and a lighter version of the twitch.

Have not sought any medical advice yet.
Male, 39 yrs old. 6'1" 180-185 lbs.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 32 minutes later

You have been experiencing pain on the left side between left temple and a twitch in your lower lip on the left side. You have had a similar attack last summer that lasted 1-2 months. You remained pain free for 2-3 months and it has recurred.

I think the episodes maybe attacks of trigeminal neuralgia that is a condition where there is affliction of the left trigeminal nerve that supplies sensations to the left side of face. This may be due to a slight compression or irritation of the nerve at the spot where it enters the face.

You need to see your doctor for a proper evaluation and management.

Hope this answers your query. Do get back if you have a follow up query.

Follow-up: Headache between left temple and left ear with a twitch in lower lip. Medical advice? 3 days later
I will definitely investigate the trig. neuralgia. I have never had any symptoms, to my memory, like this.
I am not trying to be alarmist, but is a growth or tumor on the left side of the head possible? How would the symptoms differ or look similar?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 23 minutes later

Trigeminal neuralgia may be due to serious causes sometimes like a brain tumor or multiple sclerosis. The difference would be -- it would more likely involve other cranial nerves and there would be signs of that. It is also more likely to be bilateral and advance rapidly. In your case this seems unlikely, however the earlier you see your doctor the better, because early management gives better results.

For your information, trigeminal nerve has three branches and in your case there seems to be involvement of two of the branches on the left side.

Hope this helps -- wishing you good health and regards.