Headache and swollen lymph node under ear lobe. Tested negative for HIV. What wrong?

Sep 2012

I have tested negetive for hiv, dont have cancer but limph nodes swelling under both ear lobes, causing head aches. what could it be
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 36 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, enlarged lymph nodes under both ear lobes may be seen in many conditions. Most commonly, an oral infection like carries teeth is the cause. Any infection in ear, can also lead to this problem. Some underlying chronic infections like tuberculosis should also be considered. Other possibilities are lymphoproliferative disorders / histiocytic diseases and many more.

So, it is not possible to comment on what actually the condition is, just form this description.

First of all, you have to be examined clinically. Position, size, shape, consistency, mobility, relation to underlying structures of the nodes should be noted carefully.

If no definite cause is found from clinical examination, excisional biopsy should be done to see what actually the condition is.

The next line of management should be determined depending upon the biopsy report.

Lastly, consult with your general physician for clinical examination and further management accordingly.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Headache and swollen lymph node under ear lobe. Tested negative for HIV. What wrong? 5 hours later
I feel like I'm healthy, I have no tooth pain but I know I need two rooth canals done, could it be this
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, as such need of root canal cannot give rise to this type of situation. But, I think you should visit a general physician for clinical examination. The next investigation should be done as i have mentioned earlier.

Hope you have your answers.