Headache and nausea. Any idea?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I get headaches, my mom had migraines but don't think mine are, my saliva gets thick and I get Nauseous.
They seem to be triggered by low pressure, or a little alcohol or a little sugar.
I've been avoiding these things in my diet as much as possible but getting them about every 2 weeks.
They generally last 2 to 3 days, I cant eat or sleep, then it passes and I feel great til the next one.
Any ideas?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of migraine is more

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

As per presentation of your symptoms possibility of migraine is high.
Migraine usually involves half part of your head and associated with nausea.
And migraine has tendency of hereditary inheritance.
Are you having pain of severe type? And aggravated by triggering factors like irritant smell, travelling? Is she having normal sleep? Undergoing any stress?

Another possibility of complain related to temporal arteritis, you may feel throbbing of vein in head .Or possibility of lesion in brain.

When such patient comes to my hospital we usually do routine blood investigation like complete blood count, ESR, CRP, MRI brain will be helpful to see any foci of lesion in brain leading to headache.

Management will depend on clinical examination and investigation reports .Plan will go like this, if headache is of migraine variety
Medications for migraine like sumatriptans can be started consulting your doctor.
Space occupying lesion may need specific further management.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Headache and nausea. Any idea? 10 hours later
Maybe it is migraine but what can I do to stop the triggers, what causes them to start when I feel great the rest of the time.
Do you think a DNA mapping would give some insight?
My saliva gets real thick and I gag on it, is that typical of migraine too?
I'm trying to avoid taking the drugs like you mentioned above as they always have bad side effects, are expensive and don't really work.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
DNA mapping may not be specific

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

For migraine DNA mapping may not be specific.
Migraine is usually a clinical diagnosis.
You can do calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) levels in the saliva for migraine.

Thick saliva is not specific for migraine ,it can occur in various diseases like stress headache,Diabetes,meningitis etc
Migraine is associated with triggering factors like bad smell,lack of sleep,so suddenly you can get headache due to trigger and may feel good rest of time.
You may need to take medication,or you can take help of alternative therapies available.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do rate my answer after our discussion.