Ask a Dentist   »  

Headache and dizziness after removal of molar tooth using local anesthetic. What should I do?

Hello, I had a molar tooth removed yesterday with local anaesthetic. The site of the extraction seems fine and not painful, but I woke during the night and fainted when I got up. Since then I've had a terrible headache and dizziness. What should I do to get rid of this?
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
First of all i would like to inform you that little discomfort and pain up to some extent after extraction is normal. But as you said, you have terrible headache and dizziness,this is not a good sign. It may be because of 'dry socket'.
If you will provide me some relevant detail,i will be in a better position to guide you.
1. Did you take your meal prior to extraction?
2. Are you taking your medicines properly after extraction?
3. Did you follow all the instruction given after extraction properly?
4. Did you remove your gauge, put after extraction by your dentist gently?
Awaiting for your response.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Follow-up: Headache and dizziness after removal of molar tooth using local anesthetic. What should I do? 10 hours later
Thanks. Answers to your queries below _
1. Yes
2. I was given no medicines, I have just taken paracetamol
3. Yes
4. Yes.
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 18 minutes later
Thanks for writing me again.
I would like to tell you that without a proper clinical examination,it is very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. However, in the light of the above information, I would like to know why did your dentist not give you any medication? Was the molar tooth mobile enough to remove? Also, how much time did your dentist I am sorry but we need additional information to clinch the diagnosis.
Awaiting your response.
Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Follow-up: Headache and dizziness after removal of molar tooth using local anesthetic. What should I do? 14 hours later
Yes, the tooth was removed as I already told you in my original question. I couldn't say why I was given no medication.....................
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 6 hours later

Thanks for providing the needed information.

I understand your tooth was removed, but I don't know whether it was firm or mobile enough to remove.

Many a times if the tooth was firm during removal, we expect some amount of trauma and inflammation which can cause pain and discomfort. In such cases perhaps a stronger prescription pain killers may be needed. Presence of gum swelling/jaw swelling suggests persisting inflammation and warrants prescription analgesics.

In India we often prescribe a course of antibiotics following tooth extraction to take care of any infection that could arise following the extraction.

From the outset, the headache and dizziness is not sinister enough to be left alone. I would encourage you to review with your dentist for careful examination - whether or not you have an infection/inflammation. A course of antibiotic therapy with prescription analgesics is entailed.

In the meanwhile my general advice would be to continue paracetamol and drink plenty of fluids.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further enquiries.

Dr. Gunjan Gupta