Headache after first urination, started after thyroid gland removal. Is there chemical imbalance in body?

Hi, my mother has had her Thyroid gland removed around two years ago, since then she has had repeated problems with headaches, sometimes they are so severe that she can not get out of bed. The headaches always seem to start after she has passed water first thing in a morning. Is it possible that there is some chemical imbalance in her body? Many thanks
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later
Hello and Thanks for the query.

Regarding removal of the thyroid gland, usually does not produce any after effects. One has to be on thyroid hormone replacement if the gland is completely removed. If by chance there is damage to the parathyroid gland which is adjacent to the thyroid it can cause metabolic problems with calcium.

Regarding the headache which starts after getting up in the morning, it can be due to various reasons and some of them are migraine, intracranial infections and tumors. Early morning headaches need detailed evaluation with scan of the brain. She may also require blood tests to know the functioning of thyroid and the parathyroid gland.

I am sorry to see that your mother is suffering from such a frustrating problem. You need to see your GP and a Neurologist for detailed evaluation.

I thank you again for the query and hope you find this reply to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.