Headache, abdominal spasms, fatigue, pet having worm infestation. Chances of contraction?

My puppy has recently been treated for Roundworm and Tapeworm and is now clear. However over the past week I have had a bad headache which will not go even with paracetamol I feel tired and have bad brain fog and a mild temp I am worried incase I have contracted this as its been me cleaning up even though I have been washing my hands with antibac everytime I touch the dog, his bed or toys etc. I have also had a few wierd abdominal spasms.?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 34 hours later

I shall attempt to give you professional information which might help you in the decision making.

I understand you have a concern if your present symptoms have anything in common with the condition of what your pet has acquired.

Severe headache, brain fog, mild fever, vague abdominal cramps - needs further evidence from blood tests, clinical examination to first rule out common causes of infection, migraine etc.

I understand that in the background of your pet, that has got those 2 intestinal infections which are common for animals, you have a valid reason for the fear. Here, you should know that mere body contact does not expose you for the cestodal infections like tape worm and nematodal infections like roundworm. They have a transmission cycle involving faeces to oral route. So, you would have a risk only when you get exposed to the faeces that too during the infective period.
This is usually 10-15 days for both.

Now, that you have these vague symptoms - I would advice you to get a clinical examination done by your physician though you have not got bowel problems. Then, in that case a stool examination would be required to rule out the cause.

And, in the event that infection has occurred, many drugs are available on prescription which eliminate the parasites in a matter of couple of days successfully.

I would hope this would suffice for your concern right now.

Let, me know if you have any further doubts.