Headache. Stopped alcohol. Can alcohol consumption affect the tests?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi my neurologist is having me avoid alcohol and many other food/drinks to try to find a cause for my headaches. it's been 21 days, if I have a couple beers will
this be a problem with the "test"? So far,there has been no change. I'd think the alcohol portion of the test would not require the full 30 days as compared to other items such as caffeine. Thanks,
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Since when are your headaches been ?

When do your headaches aggravate or get relieved ?

Any vision problems, hearing issues, loss of balance while walking or other problems ?

Are you on any medication ?

Since your Neurologist is trying to ascertain the cause of your headache, he will need to follow a proper, tested protocol. As the protocol probably suggests a 30 day avoidance of certain food and drink it is highly advisable to follow the advice otherwise there would be considerable overlap between this test and the next test which could make it difficult for the diagnosis to be made.

Alcohol, Caffeine and other substances are known to aggravate headaches due to their vasodilatory action in the blood vessels of the brain. Both these substances could act in a similar fashion which causes stretching of the nerves in the brain leading to a headache. This is why caffeine, alcohol has to be avoided for the full 30 days in order for you to pass the test.

Avoid working under low lighting conditions. Avoid excessive sunlight exposure. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Do daily brisk walking exercises for stress relief and good health promotion.

Kindly do respond to the queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.