Head spinning badly and feeling pressure around the ears. Loss of appetite and nausea. Should I be worried?

HI Dr, two nights ago I woke up at 3:00am and everything was spinning pretty bad, it did calm down and I was
able to get some sleep, I have a weird head feeling some pressure around the ears and back of the neck
just want to sit and put my head in my hands and rest, energy is lower than normal, also some appetite loss and
occasional nausea feelings.
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
early viral illness

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The dizziness, nausea, fatigue and reduced appetite may be indicative of a viral illness.

Dizziness and vertigo (the sensation of spinning) can be related to central (the brain and spinal cord) or peripheral causes.

Peripheral causes are more common and the most usual of these is conditions related to the inner ear.The inner ear plays an important role in balance.

Dizziness and vertigo can be associated with nausea and/or vomiting because of the spinning sensation.

A viral illness such as the common cold can affect the inner ear and cause dizziness, vertigo and nausea. Viral illnesses would also cause loss of appetite and reduced energy.

Because these conditions are self limiting, the normal course of treatment is mainly symptomatic.

This means the use of fluids, rest along with a decongestant would reduce the sinus pressure (feeling of pressure you are feeling in the ears ). These are usually available over the counter.

Antiemetics such as a the anti histamine dimenhydrinate would help with the nausea and dizziness. Because it is an antihistamine,it would also help with the sinus symptoms.
It should also be OTC.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions