Head slammed on table. Sore bump appeared. Should I consult a doctor?

General Surgeon
I sat up in bed to switch positions and came down really hard, slamming my head on my end table, instead of my pillow (in the middle of the night). It was about 1/2 inch above my temple on the side of the front of my head. It is still very sore @ 36 hours later.
I want to make sure there is nothing bad going on -- on the inside...
I'm wondering if I should see a doctor?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Generally head trauma is very hard to be verified without head CT. Usually, if there were no lost of consciousness, we assume that the trauma was not strong enough to cause brain injury. However, some of head traumas without lost of consciousness can still cause vessel rupture inside the head.
Moreover, some brain bleedings, if not strong can stay silent for some time and can give no symptoms. You have hit your head on the temple which is the thinnest area of the skull.
Symptoms which are neglecting after head trauma are: headache, nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, dizziness, weakness, sleepiness.
I suggest you to visit your doctor and have at least neurological examination. Its too risky to wait with it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.