Head pain. Done CT scan, X-ray, endoscopy. Advised sinus surgery. What is the actual problem?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hi sir,
age-31, hight-6 feet, weight-72.
From last 8 months i have head pain. In the month of May-June 2011 i have consulted the doctors (Neurology) of DMC Ludhiana (India). After examining they have referred me to ENT doctors of the same hospital.
Then ENT doctors have taken again my CT scan/X-ray and endoscopy and advise to me for operation due to sinus.
But due to some reasons and consult with other i have not go for operation and decided to take other home remedies.
Now after leaving smoking and reduce of alcohol and other activities like steaming/ gargling i am feeling well.
But still i have little head pain (some time left side, right side, and in right side under eye) and also the dark cough are splitting out from nose as well as through mouth.
Sir please confirm what is actual problem, there is any serious head problem or due to sinus.

Please also advise for tests if any.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

After noting your history it seems most likely a sinus problem because of the following factors.

The area of pain, the presence of mucus or cough and some relief on gargles and steam.
Also the fact that you have undergone CT scan, X-rays and endoscopy and sinusitis is confirmed by ENT specialists.

The area under both eyes .i.e. Inside the cheek bone is the maxillary sinuses they are gaps in bones which if infected or inflamed are filled with mucus and fluid and this problem is called sinusitis which can cause discharge from nose or throat infection or headache and occasionally fever, swelling etc.

Though you have only pain as major symptom, if CT scan of sinuses and xrays and endoscopy suggest sinusitis then no further tests are required and I think you should visit your ENT specialist for a XXXXXXX discussion if you wish to avoid surgery.

Conservative management includes medicines like antibiotics, decongestants, steroid nasal sprays etc but sometimes depending on the case surgery is the best treatment.

So if your doctor has advised you surgery, it must be for your benefit and better relief.

Still if you are very scared of surgery, do discuss your fears with your doctor and he can suggest medical treatment for some more time or if absolutely necessary give you option of endoscopic surgery of sinuses also called FESS, i.e. functional endoscopic sinus surgery.

According to me you should abide by your doctors advise, if he feels surgery is the better option then you should go ahead with it. There is no fixed time limit for wait and watch or common rule as each patient has different symptom and severity.

Please do not panic. Its a common problem and many times minor surgery can give you faster relief.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back if you have further questions or doubts.

Please accept my answer if you do not have any more questions.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Head pain. Done CT scan, X-ray, endoscopy. Advised sinus surgery. What is the actual problem? 9 hours later
Dre Sir,

May all reports are enclosed. Sir please confirm what the problem is exactly. please
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

I am sorry, I am unable to see any reports here.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

You may also send the reports to YYYY@YYYY with subject as Attention to Dr. Hema Yadav.

Hope I get your response soon.