Head injury, taking OTC turmeric tablets. Should I go to hospital?

While shoveling snow four hours ago I slipped and fell and the back of my head struck aspalt (tar) driveway. I didn't black out but it hurt. I've been applyin an ice pack to the head since hitting it. My head hurts a little on top too. I've been taking over the counter tumeric tablets and read that can thin the blood and I'm 65. My friends tell me I should go to the hospital to have it checked out. Should I do this or are there signs I should watch for that would warrant taking the trip?

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 38 minutes later

You had head injury and I think impact was also significant.

After injury to the any part of body there will be swelling and pain. The extent of swelling depends upon the site and type of injury. This is a normal reaction.

Please look for following which calls for immediate medical attention and suggestive of head injury.

>Increasing swelling at site of injury
>Increasing or persisting Headache
>Giddiness or unsteadiness.

These are the primary signs of head injury. Presence of any of these calls for further investigation to look for any major injury to the brain.

Almost four hours has gone, please look for the severity of headache. Take some analgesic like Tylenol which can help.

As per the progress you can decide to visit ER (Emergency Room).

Keep a watch and do not ignore even minor things.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Head injury, taking OTC turmeric tablets. Should I go to hospital? 43 minutes later
Then it would be safe for me to go to bed shortly? It's been 5 hours since I hit my head, should I sleep with an ice pack where I hit my head or should I use a heat pad? Also, is it normal to still have a little pain when I touch my head where it hit?

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

There is no need to use ice pack now. This will not have any effect by now.

In the absence of any of the symptoms mentioned above you can go to sleep.

Minor discomfort or pain the site can remain for day or two. This pain is because of some blood collection underneath the skin and swelling at the site of injury.

Please take care and as discussed earlier take proper care.

Any unusual event must be reported to your doctor.