Head injury, swelling, tenderness, lump, painful. Put butterfly bandaid

Oncologist
Question
Fell 3 months ago, cut head open and had large lump. All has healed except swelling and tenderness. The swelling that is left is in the form of a line about a half inch thick. The tenderness is the lump and area that was cut open. Should have had stitches but closed it with a butterfly bandaid. Sometimes have light pain around cut area.
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

It is not uncommon for tenderness to persist after a traumatic injury. the scalp is a very sensitive part of the body and even a very tiny bit of swelling can cause some tenderness.

I don't think any intervention needs to be done at this point. You might try using warm compresses near the affected area a couple of times a day to see if this helps. Slowly the symptoms may improve over the next six months to one year.

Thanks again for sending a question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert