Head injury, staples put on wound, discharge, no infection. Put on neosporin. What must I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had eight staples put on a head wound two weeks ago and had them removed a week ago. They day before I had the staples removed it started oozing even tho there was none for a whole week prior. The doctor looked at it the next day when I had the staples removed and he said a small area (real small) had not completely closed and it did not look infected (clearish, redish) -no read streaks or pain or swelling. He did put me on antibiotics and told to use neosporin twice a day.

I followed up with the dr.two days letter so he could check it again and he said "no infection". He told me to wait at least another week or so and if it is still oozing, come back.

Now the ooze is scabbing on the hair below the opening, and when I dab the scab area with peroxide, it "squishes"!!! Uuuck.

What's going on? Should I continue to wash my hair with regular shampoo -- how often? Use peroxide? Use neosporin?

What happens if it never stops oozing?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later

The oozing from the area suggests a partially healed wound. Sometimes it may happen due to a small foreign body left inside (like hair) after the injury.

Right now you may continue using the regular shampoo and continue cleaning the area with peroxide daily and continue local application of Neosporin. Usually it heals spontaneously in 3-4 weeks time. If this does not heal in next two weeks then you must go for a follow up visit to your physician to explore the area to find out the cause of non-healing. Meanwhile have a healthy diet for early recovery.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.