Head injury, skull tissue infected after removal. Is it safe for me to fly? What are the risks?

My nephew had head injury two years ago in an accident. Part of his skull on the right side of his head was removed and when the removed skull was replaced, the skull tissue was infected and he had to have it removed again. He is still 'skull-less' on the right side of his head. He is hoping to fly from Taiwan to HongKong in a few days to see his dying grandmother. Is it safe for him to fly? What are the risks?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 13 hours later

Thanks for the query

From the details it looks to me like the bone flap was not replaced due to osteomyelitis of the skull bone. Travel by air is not advised for some one who has raised intracranial pressures which usually happens in hemorrhage, infection and trauma. In view of removed skull bone the chances of rise in the intracranial pressures will not be seen in him.

So I personally feel there is no contraindication for air travel at this point of time. He has to be careful to avoid injuries and infection in him. He has to continue his routine medications like anti-convulsants if he is taking to avoid seizures during or after the travel.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist