Head injury, no headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, no blurred vision. Has high BP. Is it okay?

Excellent

Question
Hi, my mother and I were assembling a bed today, and somehow the headboard fell down onto her head, it weighs a lot, of heavy wood. It seemed to fall only a foot before it hit her. But she said she saw stars immediately after, and I gave her ice. It has been 6-7 hours, and only a small lump or knot formed. No headache developed in this time, and no dizziness, nausea, vomiting, pupils have looked okay, no blurred vision. We managed to put the bed together, and she has been cleaning the rest of the day, and talking on the phone, and still has an appetite. She never lost consciousness and still acts like herself and was never sleepy. Only thing is she seems to have sinus now. But the headboard was heavy, and still fell on her head. She also has high blood pressure and takes aspirin. Is she okay? We cannot visit a doctor until tomorrow unless emergency call. Thank you very much.
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 44 minutes later

I can understand your concern for your mother but given the history of head injury a day before and the only presenting symptom of sinus drainage, it is very important to get your mother evaluated immediately and get a CT scan or MRI head done. We need to rule out CSF rhinorrhea.

What happens is that in a head injury, basilar skull fracture can result in a rupture of the barrier between the sinonasal cavity and the anterior cranial fossae or the middle cranial fossae.

This rupture can cause the nasal cavity to fill with cerebrospinal fluid. This condition, known as cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhoea or CSF rhinorrhea and the patient presents with clear, watery discharge from the nose, usually unilateral.

If your mother is having any sinus discharge, you need to get an immediate CT scan head for her.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Head injury, no headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, no blurred vision. Has high BP. Is it okay? 4 minutes later
thank you for your reply, she is now planning on going to sleep, it is 9:30pm here, I do not know what action I need to take right now, as I do not drive, and the only was is by calling an ambulance which she will not let me do. it seems to only be sinus, caused by allergies or smoke, she is refusing for me to call for an ambulance, I don't know what to do, please advise

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

It is essential to get an evaluation done from a neurosurgeon and get a CT/ MRI of your mother done. You should take to your mother to the ER and get a CT Head done to rule out any CSF rhinorrhea.

Follow-up: Head injury, no headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, no blurred vision. Has high BP. Is it okay? 6 hours later
Thank you for your help so far, she went to the ER last night, they gave her 2 panadeine forte and told her she can go home without CT. They did not mention she had XXXXXXX injury, but is this still possible? She seems to be okay, she is not complaining of any other symptoms. It has been nearly 24 hours now. Do I need to watch for anything else?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The treatment given is for sinus infection. Keep an eye on your mother's symptoms. If she develops any headaches, seizures, unconsiousness, dizziness, blurring of vision or drowsiness, then you should get it evaluated from a neurologist.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.