Head injury, minor concussion. Is drowsy, waking up often, stiff neck. Worry?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my daughter took a hard fall playing basketball last night & hit her head. The school has computer software program that she took a quiz prior (3 weeks ago) and then again yesterday after the fall. It indicates a minor concussion. She is doing pretty good, but is drowsy (maybe from me waking her up every 2 hours last night), has pain at the site where she hit her head and a stiff neck. Is this something I should be worried about?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 49 minutes later
Hello .
Head Injury after fall may commonly cause some pain at the site , but you need to be watchful of the drowsiness. If it persists even after adequate sleep then it warrants evaluation by your doctor.
If she has any of the following then you need to be concerned,
1 Vomiting or nausea or dizziness
2 Blurred vision or drowsiness or altered sensorium, i.e not responding to commands
3 Seizures or convulsions or sensory problems like tingling numbness of any hand or leg
4 Fever
5 Nose/Ear bleed

If she develops any of these please consult your doctor immediately and get a CT scan brain done

At present the situation doesn't seem worrisome and no treatment is required except analgesics for pain relief like acetaminophen and ibuprofen if advised by your physician.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing your daughter speedy recovery.