Head injury in baby. Baby's behavior normal. Emergency necessary?

My 14 month old baby just hit her head on the tile floor.
She cried for a few minutes and vomited 1 time. She is
fine now and she can walk and everything, I asked her
where her papa is and she pointed at me and she was
dancing and all is good. Should I be worried or take her
to the ER??
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 49 minutes later

You report that your fourteen month daughter hit her head on the tile floor cried for a few minutes and vomited once and now she is fine.

Did she vomit immediately following the injury or after a few hours?

Currently as she is fine and behaving normally, you need not immediately worry. However if she becomes drowsy, less active, vomits recurrently or complains of any discomfort then you need to take her to the ER. You would have to observe her for these changes for a week as there can sometimes be a slow build up to bleeding below the duramater (brain cover) over a period of days following head injury. If she has no symptoms after a week, then she should be normal thereafter and you need not worry any further.

Hope my answer is clear to you. If you have any doubts regarding my opinion or have any other concerns, please post your reply back. I would also like to know the answer to my initial question regarding the onset of vomiting.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Head injury in baby. Baby's behavior normal. Emergency necessary? 23 minutes later
She vomited within just a few minutes after. but only once, it has now been about 3-4 hours since it happened. She is sleeping soundly right now. I have checked on her a few times and she wakes up a little with almost no effort needed, like normal.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 48 minutes later
Thanks for reverting.

Since she vomited immediately, I do not think we need to worry. But I would request you to please observe her for a week and monitor her for lethargy, vomiting and lack of response. If there are any symptoms like these, I would suggest that you take her to the emergency room immediately.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.