Head injury, headache, blurred vision. What can be the disgnosis?

My fiancee flew off his bike two nights ago and hit the back of his head hard enough to get an egg. He had no other concussion symptoms that night (was coherent, pupils not dilated, vision/hearing fine, etc) but the day after, had a horrendous headache and was light-headed. now two days later, he has blurry vision in one eye and still a god-awful headache and lightheadedness. what should he do? I suggested ER just in case but he doesnt have health insurance so we wanted to get another opinion first...he's afraid he'll end up paying a ton of money for them to essentially tell him to rest...
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query.
As expected, a headache may very well occur after an injury to the head, neck or brain. It is also quite common for other symptoms to occur after a head injury such as dizziness, insomnia, lack of concentration and more. The occurence of these conditions, including a headache, is known as the post-traumatic syndrome. A painful headache is usually the most overwhelming post-traumatic condition following a head injury. In most cases, the post-traumatic headache will closely resemble the symptoms of a tension headache.
 In some cases, a typical Migraine with or without XXXXXXX may be triggered. Some headaches caused by head trauma, can be a sign of a more serious problem such as a haematoma (bleeding in the brain). A haematoma has been known to occur even on considerably minor head traumas.
Generally most cases of post traumatic headaches don't require any treatment except rest and pain killers.
You can wait and watch for another couple of days and if your condition doesn't improve or rather detieorates then you must go to hospital for necessary scan to rule out any fracture or hematoma.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.