Head injury due to accident, small piece of skull causing brain injury, blood clotting. Surgery necessary?

A nuerosurgeon suggested surgery for a injury on head (in an accident), as there is a small piece of skull that caused slight injury on brain and make minor amount of blood clotage.. Can anybody suggest if surgery is necessary in this case? is there any other option?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 20 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Regarding the head injury if there is depressed fracture with underlying hematoma, most require surgery to fix the skull bone and to evacuate the underlying clot. If there is no displacement of the fracture bone and the underlying clot is small and not compressing on the adjacent brain, conservative line of treatment can be followed. If during the process of conservative management the hematoma expands and becomes symptomatic again, surgery is indicated.

I will be in a better position to answer your query if you can send a copy of the scan report and the current symptoms of the patient. I thank you again for submitting your query. I hope my response was both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional questions I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Follow-up: Head injury due to accident, small piece of skull causing brain injury, blood clotting. Surgery necessary? 32 minutes later
Thanks so much Dr. XXXXXXX we really appreciate your prompt response. The patient condition looks normal. He got 8 stitches on head, even though he is able to talk normally, and no other side effects noticed so far.

In few minutes we will provide the scanning report and as many details as possible regarding the problem. As per the doctor here, surgery is required immediately. Patient is being prepared for the same.
We need some more details from you on this case. Also we are more concerns about the side effects of the surgery or treatment without surgery.

Looking forward to hear from you soon. Your help is truly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later
Hello and Thanks again for following up,

Let me go through the scan report to provide you more information about the patient's condition.

If the doctor's feel it is a emergency surgery, then I think there must be depression at the site of the fracture with bleed underneath it. Discuss with your neurosurgeon to confirm if this is the reason for the emergency surgery.

Standard line of treatment is to evacuate the bleed to reduce future complications. Surgery in such kind of patients is usually safe without any side effects.

Hope this answers your query.