Head injury, dizziness when sitting down too quickly or turning over too quickly. Is this normal?

I fell backwards down some stairs, hit my head on a wood floor and knocked myself out for a couple of minutes 2 months ago. Symptoms of concussion have mostly gone apart from a little dizziness sometimes but I have had 4 big dizzy spells -one just from sitting down too quickly and roughly but the others in bed -it seems caused when turning over too quickly. I also can't lay flat - I have to have two pillows. Is this normal so long after the fall? I am female and age 43.
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

The one possibility that comes to my mind is BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo).It is related to the labyrinth system inside the inner ear. It is usually harmless but the episodes can be frightening to experience.

The cause of BPPV is unknown. However, minor head injuries, rapid head movements , viral infections are all known to trigger the onset of BPPV. In your case it is possible that the mild head injury might be the cause of vertigo(dizziness).

The best doctor to visit would be an ENT doctor. If necessary, he might also advise for CT scan of the head and neck to rule out other causes of dizziness.

In the presence of decrease/loss of vision,weakness/ numbness on one side of body, difficulty in speaking, slurred speech ,please visit the doctor immediately.These could be accompanying symptoms of stroke.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan