Head injury, dilated eyes. Visit pediatrician?

My five year old hit the back of his head on our headboard. He did not lose consciousness. He did not vomit. His eyes contract when I shined a small flashlight briefly but they do look very slightly dilated. Do we need to go to the e.r.? He is asleep now and I was going to check on him in an hour to see if he wakes up ok, and if his eyes look good and dilate okay. Should I just do this and take him to his pediatrician tomorrow morning?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Radhika 40 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I have gone through your query, I suggest you check his pupils after a few minutes and if they are in still a state of constant dilatation then you need to go to an E.R.

Otherwise it seems to me he is perfectly alright,there is no loss of consciousness and he did not vomit. When you hold a torch to the eyes it will be dilated and then briefly contract, there is no need to worry. But you should take him to the pediatrician tomorrow morning.

Just apply cold ice pack to the area.

Hope my answer is adequate and informative. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.