Head injury, concussion, muscle spasms. CT detected no bleeding, fractures. Can concussion cause spasms?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Can a concussion cause muscle spasms? I had a skiing accident Sunday afternoon. I struck my head on the ice. I had a CT with no bleeding or fractures, only a concussion with a nasty black eye. But now I'm having muscle spasms in my arms and legs and some in my torso. Is this normal or should I seek further medical treatment? It was the one time I went to the top and didn't wear a helmut.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

A concussion can cause delayed symptoms like muscle spasms in some cases. But in such a case a chronic subdural hemorrhage needs to be ruled out.

It needs a proper medical attention and should not be taken lightly. Thorough examination is needed to detect any other neurological deficits.

I advise you to go for a follow up visit to your treating physician for proper evaluation and treatment.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.