Head injury, applied ice, tenderness, headache behind eye. Should I go to the doctor?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello... A Shampoo bottle weighing about 2LBS fell on my head last night from about 5ft up. I had a lump last but iced it so that gone now, but my head is still really tender and I have a headache behind the right eye on the same side where the bottle hit me.. Other then feeling kind of out of it, tired and some head pain, I'm ok. Should I go in to the DR? Or will I be fine with NSAID and rest?
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
It seems that you have suffered a minor head injury. An impact on one side of head causes a rebound injury to the other side of the cerebrum when it hits the hard skull. This has given rise to the symptoms behind the eye.
If you can consult a physician easily then it is best to get yourself examined for any neurological deficits. You can also self monitor yourself for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately.
Meanwhile you can do a hot compress in the area of injury and take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief.
The pain is likely to improve in next 3-4 days.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.