Head injury, applied ice. Have numbness, no nausea. Is it not fully healed?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Got punched/shoved in the head by an idiot two-weeks ago. I've applied ice to easy the lump on the side of my head after three days; head was fine but but I feel a numbness on that same side. Is the area of my head not fully healed? Is that why there's some minor discomfort? No nausea; no other head problems.

The doctor before had said that the swelling of the bruised nerve would go away with time. Well it's been over two weeks and while the numbness is decreasing it's taking a very long time

It's been two weeks now and every couple of days or so I feel the numbness on my side of my head for a either 4-5hrs or a good portion of the day.

The last time I consulted with you folks i.e., with Dr. XXXXXXX (9/1/12) was bruised nerve in which partial numbness can be the issue and said there's nothing that can be done but it will gradually go away. He suggested taking some complex B vitamins or VIT B12 for two weeks to take care of the numbness. I haven't done that yet.

Today the intermitting (i.e., no problems at all for 3 days straight; but would suddenly appear for a few hours or several hours for a day) numbness continues for sometimes a few hours to most of the day. Also, and I know this descriptions is awful, but there was a time last week as if something in my brain was transmitting an unwanted numbing pulse from one end to the other; it was only one time this occurred. Another doctor today said to get a CT just to be sure.

Since i've not had any vision or dizziness or extreme head aches all the while the numbness has SLOWLY decrease over the past three weeks,and will have a CT scan next week, should be worried?

my email address is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
Based on your descriptions, there seems to be an injury to the scalp nerve (nerve located in the skin over the skull bone) and no XXXXXXX injury. So, I feel you need not worry at this stage.
Numbness arising due to nerve injury, which seems to be a neuropraxia (the mildest form of nerve injury), may sometimes take upto 6-12 weeks to completely recover. In most cases, it takes lesser time to recover. As you were advised earlier too, there is no specific medicine for this, but nerve vitamins help in faster recovery of the injured nerve. The common vitamins that are helpful are vitamin B12 (mecobalamin), alpha lipoic acid, pyridoxine and benfothiamine. So, any vitamin preparations that contain the above may be taken.
As you have no definite signs of XXXXXXX brain injury (such as severe headache, vomiting, decreased alertness, fits, etc), it is alright to do CT scan next week and there is no need to do it on an urgent basis.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Head injury, applied ice. Have numbness, no nausea. Is it not fully healed? 20 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX

Does the numbness of the scalp nerve filter to just above the ear on occasion?

As far as the B12, is one table a day sufficient and how many milligrams?
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 minutes later
Hello Mr XXXXXXX Stevens,
Yes, the numbness of the scalp nerve can occur just above the ear on occasion.
Regarding the dose of vitamin B12, one tablet a day (1.5 milligrams or 1500 micrograms) is sufficient. You can continue it for about three months.
Please get back if you require any further clarification.
Best wishes,

Follow-up: Head injury, applied ice. Have numbness, no nausea. Is it not fully healed? 16 minutes later
Lastly why does it hurt on certain days than others and when it does hurt I seem to yawn more than normal? And the numbness sometimes is XXXXXXX dead center for a time.

Again thanks and best wishes!

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 43 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.
The nerve pain is episodic in most cases (unlike bone or soft tissue pain, which is constant and is tender to touch). This is because of underlying mechanisms of neuropathic pain (due to episodic release of certain chemicals). Also, there could be certain triggers for nerve pain (including change in temperature, wind, touch, overwork, etc).
I am sure you would soon recover from this numbness and pain.
Best wishes,