Head injuries, bump on head, fluid-filled, painful. Should I wait or be concerned?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I fell 9 days ago and got a bump on the head. It is much smaller, but seems to be filled with fluid and it hurts a little stil. Should I wait or be concerned?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello ,
A blunt trauma can cause such a swelling due to minor bleeding or inflammation.The pain and swelling should gradually subside in a couple of weeks on it's own.
Occasionally there may be complications like superadded infection and delayed healing resulting in increased swelling , redness, tenderness or dischargeor fever.
If you develop any such symptom then please consult your physician for treatment with apropriate antibiotics and antiinflammatory medicines.
As of now it seems to be healing and you can wait and watch.