Head injured, passed out. Numbness and tingling sensation in body. Why is it still there? Emergency?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I fell 8 ft onto hard concrete surface, head first. The back of the head was hit. Initially, I was passed out and when I woke up, I can not move my arms or legs. very soon after that, I started to feel tingling feeling in both arms, hands, legs, and feet. That occurred about 7 hours ago. Now, my legs and feet are okay. I do not feel any problems with my back though my neck feel sore, and the tingle sensation on my arm are gone. No headache, no sense of wanting to throw up, no memory issues (other than short term memory loss on what I was doing at the time for about 20 minutes, then all memory returned), and I can still do complex math like before (could do that even immediately after the fall). Unfortunately, I feel some pain when I lift my arm at the collarbone area, the back of my head still hurts a little (kind of like how it would hurt when i bruised my arm before), and my main concern is that the tingling sensation on both of my hands are still there, though not as severe as a few hours ago. Also, though my legs and back are feeling fine now, my arms seemed to have lost some strength, possible due to pain at collarbone area. Is this something serious that I need to go to emergency now, even after 7 hours?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Tingling in arms and extremities can be due to compression of spinal nerves emerging from neck vertebra due to trauma or inflammation.

Ideally you should have visited the emergency care and got a CT (Computerized Tomography) scan head and neck done to assess any damage.

Since your symptoms have persisted though some improvement is noticed it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

So do consult an emergency room if feasible to rule out any neurological damage.