Head has been tender at base. Soreness feels like have bumped head. Suggest?

For approx 3 days my head has been tender at the base on the right and left side. The soreness feels like I have
bumped my head but I have not. Was wondering why I have this all of a sudden. I am a 59 year old female.
five foot 5inches and 60 kilo
Thanks XXXXX
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
musculoskeletal pain /migraine. check for BP & GPE

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX, thanks for using XXXXXXX

This sudden onset of severe pain may be due to some of the below mentioned common causes.

1. Musculoskeletal cause. Since there is no history of trauma, the pain may be due to neck muscle spasm. This may appear due to abnormal positioning of head while sleeping or due to using larger or small pollows. For this you can try Ibuprofen 400mg as painkiller and a muscle relaxant like chlorzoxazone. Use correct sized pillows.

2. Migraine. It is common in women. May present with only pain or with associated other symptoms. For this initially you can try out Paracetamol 1000mg once with other symptomatic treatment. This will reloeve pain.

3. Variation in BP. (Hypertension). Check for your BP. In sudden raised BP or any raised ICT can also present like sudden severe head ache. I will be concerned if the pain is associated with vomiting, bluring of vision, any muscular weekness. If normal BP and other symptoms you just relax and take above mentioned as discussed. These will help you.

I advice you to consult your doctor once for complete general physical examination. Have regular sound sleep and nutritious diet with outdoor exercises. These will help.

Hope these measures will help you. Feel free to ask if any related query.

Wish you faster recovery and good health.