Head collided with front glass of car in accident. Chances that glass particles remain in head, affected hair growth ?

I had an accident yesterday, I was traveling in a CAB(Indica) sitting on the front seat, without wearing a seat belt. All of a sudden our CAB collided with another CAB head-on. I had my cellphone with me and was concentrating on cell rather than looking ahead. Once the CAB striked head on with another CAB, I lost my control and suddenly collided with the front glass of the CAB with my head. The intensity of this accident was so much that the glass of CAB got broken as a heavy stone was thrown on it. The glass was dispersed in to very minute and tiny particles, a lot of which pierced inside my head. I had a little bit of bleeding that time and went straight away to a hospital. While I touched my head to see what is there, I could pull up patches of my hair with slight touch.
Once I went to the hospital, the doctor's did some sort of cleaning/dressing and said there is nothing to panic. I have some minor injuries on the head which are heeling now, but I am a little worried as some glass particles might have found room inside my head.
Now my questions:
1: What sort of tests are necessary for me that will help me diagnose if everything is fine, will an X-Ray suffice.
2: Are there any such cases where patients reported that from such incidents the after effects come to surface.
3: Will it effect my hair growth, Now even if I try to clean my head, my hair starts falling off.
4. I want your suggestions in detail as to what should I do so that I set everything alright in the first place.

Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 5 hours later
Hello Mr. Javid,

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

As you have mentioned, there are chances of small glass pieces retained inside the wounds.

Since you promptly sought medical help and the doctor did clean the wounds and dressed the wounds, the chances are rare if the doctor carefully removed every bit.

1. X-ray will be able to pick up any glass piece still inside. X-ray and Ultrasound of the wound and surrounding area would be sufficient to detect any retained glass.

You might need a CT scan of the head if you sustained a serious head injury. If you happen to experience headache, vomiting, confusion, blurring of vision or any abnormal symptoms, I suggest you seek medical help immediately. On which time your doctor might order a CT scan of the head and brain to see if the collision had any impact on the brain.

2. Usually any brain injury will present immediately as confusion, loss of memory, headache, unconsciousness, vomiting, seizures(FITS). But there are instances where injury is not so severe and the symptoms take some time to develop. It is worthwhile to be careful and watchful for the first 48-72 hours following the injury.

3. The reason for hair fall is glass pieces. The sharp edges of the glass would have cut the hair, hence the cut hair are falling off while washing. You don't need to worry about this. Your hair will grow back.

4. Keep the wound dry and clean, Go back to the hospital if you have any of the following symptoms.
a) Headache.
b) Vomiting.
c) Loss of memory or confusion.
d) Confusion.
e) Neck pain.
f) Blurred vision.
g) Seizures (Fits).

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back to me if you have further queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr. Yogesh.D