Head bump,swelling,dent on forehead

My 6 month old hit her head on the tile floor while learning to crawl. She had a large bump on her head for 1 week, now that the swelling has gone down, there is a small dent on her forehead. Is this permanent or can it heal as her skull continues to form?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
From your description it seems that your son has suffered a minor head injury.Head injuries can be external or XXXXXXX If your baby is behaving fine, not in pain, not crying and had not lost consciousness after the fall, then there is nothing serious to be worried about.
The large bump she had on her head was most likely a superficial hematoma which has gradually resolved on its own with time. The small dent now left on her skull might be due to a minor skull fracture which has caused the depression.
I would advise you to go for a ct scan to know if there is any XXXXXXX damage or subdural hemorrhage or compression to the brain present. In children such kind of minor cracks in the skull vault usually heal on their own in 6 to 8 weeks time.
Taking mild pain killers for pain after consulting her physician will help to overcome pain if there is any.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.