Having yellow white lump on throat back. Feeling cold and lethargic. Should I worry?

I have a yellowish white lump on the back of my throat about the size of a pea I also have a cold and feel lethargic. Is the lump anything to worry about
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query.

As you have said you have yellowish white small pea sized lump on back of your throat , having cold and feeling lethargic.

Based on the description of your symptoms following is the plausible cause.

ACUTE FOLLICULAR TONSILLITIS (commonly known as sore throat)

In acute follicular tonsillitis , you may have small yellow - white spots on your tonsillis and on your pharynx( neck tube).

These white -yellow spots show the fight of your tonsillis against the bugs(viral or bacterial) you inhale.

With tonsillitis you may feel , lethargic , weak , cold with chills , mild feverish feeling , mild backache , mild headache , dry mouth.

In 40% of patients , the symptoms will resolve in three days, and within one week in 85% of people.

I would suggest nothing to worry about and do the following.

1. Pain relief, lethargy relief medications (acetaminophen/paracetamol and/or ibuprofen)

2. Sore throat relief (warm salt water gargle, lozenges, dissolved aspirin gargle

3. Don't take ice/cold liquids

4. Antibiotics will be required if sore throat doesn't resolve in 4 days

I hope this explain your query in full detail.

Let me know if you need any further clarifications.

Wishing you speedy recovery.