Having wobbling legs after sitting on recliner. What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My legs were wobbly after taking a nap in a recliner for about an hour. Previously I had spent about 30 minutes on pedal bike where you sit in a chair. and did some errands and had no problems. About 4 months ago I had this problem after sitting on a hard chair, but after a good nights rest in bed I was ok. I have had 3 epidurals for back pain for spinal stenosis in about a year and halve. I keep exercising to keep away from an operation. XXXXXXX K.
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to nerve compression at coccyx. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The symptoms that you are having are likely to be due to nerve root compressions at the level of spine. It is caused by inflammation near the coccyx bone. The symptoms are generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods of time, or with direct pressure to the tailbone area. Follow these measures for relief from the symptoms: 1) Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, avoid to sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks will help. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone. 2) You can also use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.