Having wide spread musculoskeletal issues. Diagnosed having outbreak of shingles. What should I do?

Hi Dr. Grief: Yes. Thanks for your help. I'm 67 and having wide spread musculoskeletal issues... Many aching joints, loss of significant strength over the past 4 months. I have a 13 yr fused left ankle, and mcl issues in both knees. The aching accelerated significantly over the past several months - knees, sholders. I get tired much more quickly. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed as having an outbreak of shingles, for which I was successfully treated. Ideas greatly appreciated.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

I doubt Dr. Grief is available at the moment to answer your query. Let me help you to the best of my knowledge.

I have read your query with diligence. Yes, you are right. You seem to have a widespread musculoskeletal issue, apart from the knee repair and the ankle fusions.

The cause of your pain could be primarily because of your medical history of joint problems.

Another seemingly obvious cause that comes to my mind is Fibromyalgia characterized by "pain all over". Have you ruled this out?

There are a few cognitive symptoms associated with this. Do you have any of those?

We must also consider your age at 67 as a reason for senile osteoarthritis.

Whatever be the cause the management is in one similar line. This would be patient education, exercises, yoga, and relaxation.

Drugs that are beneficial in you would be SNRIs, pregabalin et al.

The outbreak of shingles also aggravates the musculoskeletal pain.

I hope this gives you an insight into the problem. Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.