Having whooping cough and haemophilus influenzae. Noticed white string while coughing. Chances of having TB?

Hi, I have beend diagnosed with whooping cough 3 months ago now 1 month ago diagnosed with Hermophlia infulenza, Have had severe larangitis now for over 6weeks, last night in a coughing fir I spued and coughed up what looked like white string, when i saw it I pulled it out of the phlem and the string was about 12 cm long and i could not break it... I am an asthmatic as well I suufer from Croup.. After coughing this up last night amazingly me chest & throat feel much clearer and open,, what do you think... Test are still in progress for TB.
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 3 hours later
Welcome and thanks for your question
I would be pleased to help you with your Question

The mucus plug you have described is very classical of an asthamatic plug. If the Plug is out and clear it would be necessary to get a Pulmonary function test done to check for the lung vitals .I would also suggest you take some Nebulization with a chest physician .

I would suggest that apart from the TB test , a Bronchoscopy will also be needed . The fact that you had a strong so long , it shows that the mucus plug is being formed . The reasons for the mucus plug can be addressed through a Bronchoscopy .

Thanks and take care