Having white light yellow stool, red skin flakes in urine and swollen leg. Trying to conceive. Is this serious?

I have white light yellow stool for last two days. I just urinated and I have red skin flakes in it. My legs and feet have been swelling. I am also currently trying to get pregnant. I am doing weightwatchers, but I feel gassy and my abdomen is bloated
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 13 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your question.
Pale stools may indicate issues with liver and biliary tract.

I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion.

1. What tests have been done?

2. Liver function test done?

3. Urinalysis done?

4. Ultrasound scan of abdomen done?

Kindly get back to me with the answers and I will give the opinion.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: Having white light yellow stool, red skin flakes in urine and swollen leg. Trying to conceive. Is this serious? 10 minutes later
Hi Dr. Kini,
I have not had any tests done recently. My Gyno last month checked my thyroid and it was a 6.5 so she said I should follow up with my regular doctor. That doctor cannot XXXXXX with me until oct. 15. So I did blood work early and the test came back at 4.5 last week. So she said it was nothing to worry about. Last year when I went to the emergency room and had an abdominal scan they said my gallbladder looked fine.

My last blood work did say I have high cholesterol, which is unusual. I usually have very low cholesterol levels. I have gained about 20 pounds in the last six months, but I attributed it to stress and not eating well. Although I feel like I am eating the same as always.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 12 minutes later
Thanks for providing the information I wanted.

Occasional pale stools can be considered normal. But if it is persistent and if it is associated with yellow urine and itching, then a liver function test and ultrasound examination should be done to rule out liver and biliary tract issues.

For the urine issue , you need an urinalysis done to rule out infection or blood in urine.

For relief from gas and abdominal bloating, try to avoid dairy products, beans and broccoli. Taking the medication simethicone would also be helpful.

I hope that answers your question.

If you do not have any more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini