Having white dots on lips. Worried about STD?

I have a few faint white dots on abd around my lips. They do not appear to be raised but seem to be getting whiter. This scares me bc of Stds
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 19 minutes later

I need some details to understand the query better.

Do you have white dots on abdomen and as well as lips? Is it? The picture attached does not show any spots. That means they are sparing and very faint to notice by naked eye in the picture.
Do you have multiple partners? Do you have unprotected sexual intercourse? Do you have oral intercourse as well?

If your worry is only about STD's, according to the clinical textbooks of medicine no STD would start with simple white dots. It should be companied or started with discharge, fever, malaise, body pain.

Please describe the duration of the problem and other details.
Follow-up: Having white dots on lips. Worried about STD? 9 minutes later
I have been with several partners and i do perform oral sex .. I have a strand of Hpv and i was concerned that it had gotten to my lips from oral sex
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 minutes later
Since you have a high risk behaviour I strongly suggest a STD screening. However to answer your query HPV would not necessarily present with faint dots over the lips.

If you do not have any STD, you are lucky to have been saved all this time. But there is no guarantee that you would not acquire if you do not refrain from this risk.

Please do not have sexual intercourse with unknown partners
Please do take proper precautions like condoms while you have intercourse.
Refrain from alcohol if you wish to date with a partner.

Let me know the result after STD screening. Your local clinic or lab would know what constitutes the screen.

Follow-up: Having white dots on lips. Worried about STD? 3 minutes later
I had a screening ab a month ago and also visited the doctor for treating my hpv. I agree that i have been lucky and almost always use condoms now. I just wanted to confirm though that this whitish spots are probably nothing?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 hours later
Whitish spots after evaluation do not mean anything serious or not related to the STD.

I suggest to continue screening once a year. I appreciate that you use condom during your encounters. However I remind you not to booze when you have a planned / unplanned encounter.

If you do not have any more queries, you may please close the discussion here.