Having white bumps on tonsils, hearing muffled and enlarged tonsils. Doing cardio and strength training. Take ibuprofen. Suggest

ENT Specialist
Question
I have what looks like a whitish bump/lump on right tonsil for about 1 year, also right ear hearing somewhat muffled, tonsils are not enlarged. Right gland under jaw is a little swollen since I messed with the tonsil bump yesterday thinking it could be stones. No fever no fatigue at any time. I have been doing cardio and strength training for the past 3 months feeling good generally. I noticed this spot/bump last summer after having ear pain and having to use a heating pad for pain under right ear....it occasionally acts up and I take ibuprofen and it goes away, only bothers me rarely. Unable to get anything out of it and their appears to be small blood vessels over the spot. It is about a the size on the surface of about 1/2 of a pencil eraser.
At the same time as this seemed to appear, I noticed right before the ear pain, was a hardened pointy protrusion on my ear on the fleshy part before my ear canal. It is still there, but smaller.
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The images of the external lump are not clear, however the location is consistent with a pre-auricular lymph node. The other possibility is a pre-auricular cyst.

2. If you can attach a close-up image of the lump on the tonsil, it may help in identifying the lesion. Since it has been there for a year or so, it may be a benign lesion such as a Tonsillolith. The lymph node under the angle of the jaw is the Jugulo-Digastric (JD) lymph node that drains the tonsil area.

3. If these lesions are different, the other possibilities are:
A. Referred pain radiating from the tonsil to the ear.
B. Eustachian tube dysfunction leading to the dull ache under the ear and muffled hearing. An ear drum, nasal / sinus examination and hearing tests (audiometry) are important.
C. An allergic reaction to an earring.

4. Assuming these are related brings up the possibility of a first branchial arch cyst or fistula.

5. A biopsy of the tonsil bump/ lump and an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) of the pre-auricular swelling will help diagnose these lesions accurately.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having white bumps on tonsils, hearing muffled and enlarged tonsils. Doing cardio and strength training. Take ibuprofen. Suggest 29 minutes later
Thank you for the information, I sent a few more photos. The tonsil spot /sac has not changed sine I noticed it a year ago. The areas am pointing to is where I noticed this pointy felt hard like cartelidge which has decreased in size. The area under my right jaw is where my lymph gland feels swollen or discomfort from time to time. I did have a dental implant XXXXXXX of 2011 and have had several issues related to right side mastitis in October of 2011 than this with my ear and tonsil 2012? May not be related at all just thought I would mention it. Actually the pointy cartelidge on the ear occurred spring of 2012. I am going to see a nurse practioner ( no insurance) but was hoping to ease my fears that it was something along lines of ca, I do have an LPN background but have not worked in the field for a while. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 24 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. I would add a USG (Ultrasound) Neck in the investigations.

2. Cancer is highly unlikely. This is not a cause for worry.

Regards.